Because sometimes you just want fried chicken.
There are some days when all you want is fried chicken. Oh I understand. I really do. So here’s the perfect recipe for those days…
Cheat’s ‘fried’ chicken and ‘slaw
Time: 40 minutes
Serves: two hungry folks
350 grams chicken tenderloins (or if you aren’t watching your cholesterol you can choose thigh for more flavour)
1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons Cajun spice
A large sweet potato
2 cups finely sliced red cabbage
1 carrot, peeled and finely sliced
3 spring onions, finely sliced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 generous tablespoons no fat Greek yoghurt
Olive oil spray
Because some nights all you want is fried chicken.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius (180 fan forced)
- Cut the sweet potato into ‘fries’
- Line two oven trays with baking paper
- Place chicken tenderloins, flour, baking powder and Cajun Spice with a generous amount of salt and pepper in a plastic Zip-loc bag. Shake to coat the chicken.
- Spray the oven trays with olive oil spray
- Place the chicken on a tray, spray with olive oil
- Place the sweet potato fries on a tray, spray with olive oil and give a generous twist of salt and pepper
- Place the trays in the oven for 25 minutes (or until cooked through); swap trays halfway through cooking for even cooking
- Meanwhile, combine the finely sliced red cabbage with the carrot and spring onion
- In a small bowl, combine the yoghurt, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard, then stir through your coleslaw and season generously with salt and pepper
- Serve your ‘fried’ chicken with your sweet potato fries and ‘slaw and wolf down with enthusiasm!