Some nights you just feel like pizza. But it doesn’t have to be completely fatty, dripping in oil, and packed with cholesterol. It can be delicious and low fat, too!
Lower cholesterol pizzettas
Sweet potato, spinach, feta & ham pizza
Capsicum, ham, feta & rocket pizza
Makes: four mini pizzas – enough for two people
Time: 1.5 hours
200 grams 00 flour
7 gram sachet of yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
Salt and pepper
A touch of olive oil
Half block of feta cheese
Half sweet potato
Half red onion
Half red capsicum
100 grams low fat ham
Handful of baby spinach
Handful of rocket
- Begin with the pizza dough. Mix the dry dough ingredients together in a bowl. Make a well. Add the olive oil and warm water slowly – just enough to make a dough. Add more water until soft and bonded. Work with your hands. Stretch, add a bit more flour if needed. Work for a while with your hands over a floured surface, stretching, pulling, pushing. Roll into a ball and leave covered for an hour.
- While the dough is resting, cut up the sweet potato into 2cm cubes. Pop onto an oven tray, give a spritz with olive oil, grind on some salt and pepper, and pop into a preheated 180ºC oven for 20 minutes.
- Open the tin of tomatoes and pop on the stove with a little basil, salt and pepper, and a dash of olive oil. Leave on a low heat. The tomatoes will break down to form a paste.
- After the hour, your dough will have doubled in size. Break into four. Use a rolling pin to make the pizza base.
- Place the pizza base on a pizza tray. Add a small spoonful of the tomato paste.
- Add toppings
- Pizza one: capsicum, onion, ham, feta, salt, pepper
- Pizza two: cooked sweet potato, onion, ham, feta, spinach, salt, pepper
- Pop pizzas into oven
- When cooked through (about 15 mins, they’ll look cooked and the crust golden and crispy), bring out of the oven
- Add a little more greenery to the top and add a dash of balsamic vinegar
- Serve with some green salad and a nice wine!
So, what’s your favourite low-cholesterol pizza topping? I’d love to hear your ideas!